The objective of this course is to provide knowledge to the students on basic problems and techniques in development planning including socio-cultural and economic conditions required for development, different stages of plan formulation and quantitative planning techniques. It also provides knowledge to the students on basic concepts, theories and analytical techniques of Project Management.
Unit 1: Introduction to Planning and Project Management (LH 10)
- Concept of poverty, inequality, and development
- Introduction to economic growth and development
- Concept of plan, program and project
- Relations between plan and project
- Concept of project management
Unit 2: Project Planning (LH 8)
- Project identification: problem tree and objective tree
- Stages of project and its cycle
- Feasibility study and preparation of project report
Unit 3: Project Appraisal (LH 12)
- Concept of project appraisal, cash flow analysis; discounting and non-discounting techniques
- Economic and social cost benefit analysis, risk, uncertainty and sensitivity analysis; environmental analysis
Unit 4: Project Implementation (LH 10)
- Project organization; network analysis: PERT and CPM
- Project control: budgeting, financial management, inventory management
- Project management information system (PMIS)
Unit 5: Monitoring and Evaluation (LH 8)
- Need for monitoring & evaluation of project
- Logical framework approach; project monitoring and evaluation system adopted by National Planning Commission
- Evaluation approaches adopted by international organizations (UNIDO & the World Bank), Case study
- Agrawal, G. R. (2014). Project Management. Kathmandu: M.K. Publishers and Distributer.
- Chandra, P. (1999). Projects: Planning Analysis Selection Implementation and Review. New Delhi: Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited.
- Chaudhary, S. (2001). Project Management. New Delhi: Tata Mc Graw –Hill Publishing Company Limited.
- Joy, P. K. (1999). Total Project Management: The Indian Context. Delhi: Machmilin India Limited.
- Kerzner, H. (2004). Project management: A Systems Approach to Planning Scheduling and Controlling.
- Little, I. M. D. & Mirrless, J. A. (1974). Project Appraisal and Planning for Developing Countries. New Delhi: Oxford and IBH Publishers Company.
- Meredith, J. & Mantel, S. J. (1989). Project Management. New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Rijal, P. R. (2059). Essential of Project appraisal and Management. Kathmandu: Kastamandap Academic Enterprise.
- Sharma, B. P. (2006). Project management: Planning, Analysis and Control. Kathmandu: Ekta Books.
- Todaro, M. P. & Stephen, C. S. (2013). Economic Development (11th ed.). New York: Addison-Wesley.