The objective of this course is to familiarize the students with the objectives, strategies and methods and actions of local development and acquaint them with the local development process and pattern in Nepal.
Unit 1: Local Development (LH 8)
- Concept and approaches to local development
- Characteristics of local development
- Policies for local development
Unit 2: Rural Development (LH 10)
- Concept and objectives of rural development
- Community development and community engagement in rural development
- Strategies and operational modalities of rural development: decentralization, people’s participation, integrated development, small farmers development, employment through entrepreneurship, empowerment, and capacity building
Unit 3: Urban Development LH10
- Concept of urban development, urbanization, and urbanism
- Relationship between urbanization and industrialization
- Strategies of urban development: infrastructure development, housing, environment and slum management
- Issues and challenges of urban development
Unit 4: Agencies and their Roles in Rural/ Urban Development (LH 10)
- Central government agencies
- Local governments
- International donor agencies
- Nongovernmental organizations (NGOs)
- Policies and strategies for rural and urban development in Nepal
Unit 5: Recent Trends in Rural/Urban Development (LH 10)
- Rural-urban linkage, response to change on economic, social, institutional and political pressure
- Indigenous development, local-global linkages
- Partnership, cooperation and participation
- Integration of policy and funding streams; decentralization, and accountability
- Urbanization and rural-urban migration
- Acharya, B. (2062). Rural Development: Theories and Approaches. Kathmandu: National Book Center.
- Adhikary, S. P. (2038). Rural Development in Nepal Problems and Prospects. Kathmandu: Lalitpur Sajha Prakashan.
- Chambers, R. (2004). Rural Development: Putting the Last First. New Delhi: Pearson Education.
- Das, P. L. (2054). Sociology of Rural Society. Kathmandu: Rekha Rani Prakashan.
- Hada, G. B. (2062). Rural Economics of Nepal. Kathmandu: Dikshanta Pustak Bhandar.
- Hada, G. B. (2063). Rural Resources, Environment and Management. Kathmandu: Gyankunja Pustak Bhandar.
- Singh, K. (1999). Rural Development: Principles, Policies and Management. New Delhi: Sage Publications.
- Todaro, M. P. & Stephen C. S. (2013). Economic Development (11th ed.). New York: Addison-Wesley.