The aim of this course is to provide students with detail knowledge on research methods in public administration so as to make the students able to write a thesis by choosing appropriate research designs, methods, techniques, tools and procedures for both the qualitative and quantitative studies.
Unit 1: Basic Concepts (LH 12)
- Nature of social and behavioral sciences
- Concept, types and process of social research
- Research problem and hypothesis
- Sources of data (primary and secondary)
- Variables and their relationships
- Measurement and scaling; reliability and validity of measuring instruments
- Ethics and value judgment in social research
Unit 2: Literature Review (LH 8)
- Concept, process and purpose of literature review
- Citation systems: APA and others
Unit 3: Sampling and Research Designs (LH 10)
- Sampling: basic concept
- Probability and non-probability sampling methods and their techniques
- Research designs: concept, purpose and quality of research designs
- Types of research designs: quantitative, qualitative, mixed methods and experimental designs
Unit 4: Data Collection Methods (LH 10)
- Survey method: questionnaire construction and structured interview
- Unstructured interviews, observation, content analysis, and document study
- Participatory approaches: RRA and PRA
Unit 5: Data Analysis and Report Writing (LH 8)
- Data processing: editing, coding and tabulation
- Use of computer software for data analysis
- Data presentation, interpretation and generalization
- Structure and process of writing a thesis
- Qualities of a good research proposal and report
- Adhikari, G. P. (2003). Social Research for Thesis Writing. Kathmandu: Investigation Nepal.
- Baskota, S. (2061). Research Methodology. Kathmandu: New Hira Books Enterprise.
- Bhanadari, D. R. (2012). Research Methodology. Kathmandu: Dhaulagiri Books and Stationery.
- Creswell, H. W. (2009). Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative and Mixed Methods Approaches. New Delhi: Sage Publications Pvt. Ltd.
- Joshi, P. R. (2003). Research Methodology. Kathmandu: Buddha Academic Publishers and Distributers Pvt. Ltd.
- Kerlinger, F. N. (2000). Foundations of Behavioural Research. New Delhi: Surjeet Publications.
- Khati, R. D. (2006). Introduction to Research Methods. Kathmandu: Thirdeye Publishers
- Kothari, C. R. (2010). Research Methodology: Methods and Techniques. New Delhi: New Age International Pvt. Ltd.
- Kuhn, T. S. (1962). The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. USA: The University of Chicago Press.
- Pant, P. R. (2016). Social Science Research and Thesis Writing. Kathmandu: Buddha Academic Publishers and Distributors.
- Sharma, P. R. (2064). Research Methodology with SPSS: Useful Thesis, Project Work and Report Writing.
- Sharma, B. A. V., Prashad, R., & Shatyanaryan P. (1989). Research Methodology. New Delhi: Sterling Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
- Young, P. V. (1982). Scientific Social Survey and Research. New Delhi: Prentice-Hall of India Pvt. Ltd.