The basic objective of this course is to provide students with the skills and techniques in managing public enterprises.
Unit 1: Introduction to Public Enterprises (PEs) (LH 8)
- Concept of public enterprises
- Evolution of public enterprises
- Objectives of public enterprises
Unit 2: Organizational Pattern of PEs (LH 10)
- Classification of PEs
- Forms of organization: departmental, public corporation, state company, operating contract
Unit 3: Autonomy, Accountability, Social Responsibility and Efficiency (LH 12)
- Concept of autonomy, accountability and efficiency
- Autonomy vs. accountability
- Accountability of PEs and corporate social responsibility
- Criteria and approaches to efficiency measurement
- Overall performance of PEs and, organization and management aspects of PEs in Nepal
Unit 4: Pricing, Profit Policy and Governing Board (LH 10)
- Concept of pricing and profit; factors affecting pricing and profit
- Types of pricing system: break even, marginal cost, import parity, discriminating and cost plus pricing
- Governing board: need, composition, types and size of boards
Unit 5: Privatization (LH 8)
- Concept of privatization
- Forms/modalities of privatization
- Overview of privatization process in Nepal
- Issues and challenges of privatization in Nepal
- Gouri, G. (Ed.) (1991). Privatization and Public Enterprises: The Asia-Pacific Experience. New Delhi: DHI Publishing Company.
- Gupta, K. R. (2006). Issues in Public Enterprises. New Delhi: S Chand & Company.
- Naraian, L. (2007). Principles and Practices of Public Enterprises Management. New Delhi: S Chand & Company.