The objective of this course is to provide knowledge about the conceptual base and practice relating to policy process, actors, institutions and policy delivery analysis. The course intends to impart analytical knowledge, principles and techniques underlying policy delivery analysis and policy learning dynamics.
Unit 1: Policy Process, Actors and Institutions (LH 12)
- Policy problems, issues and agenda, agenda setting
- Role of governmental and non-governmental actors and policy perspective
- Factors affecting policy-making
Unit 2: Analytical Approaches to Decision Problem (LH 10)
- Concept of operations research (OR)
- Operations research techniques: linear programming, scheduling, inventory method, simulation method, PERT, CPM, (concepts and use in policy decision making)
Unit 3: Policy Implementation (LH 10)
- Concept of policy implementation
- Approaches to policy implementation: top-down, bottom-up and hybrid perspectives and policy action
Unit 4: Policy Monitoring and Evaluation (LH 10)
- Concept of monitoring and its approaches
- Concept of evaluation and its criteria
- Types of evaluation
- Constraints on evaluation
Unit 5: Policy Impact and Change (LH 6)
- Concept and dimensions of policy impact
- Issues relating to policy impact
- Policy transfer and lesson-drawing: concept and forms; actors, objects and degrees
- Issues and barriers
- Anderson, J. E. (1979). Public Policy Making (2nd ed.). New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston.
- Cochran, C. L. & Malone, E. F. (2007). Public Policy: Perspectives and Choices. New Delhi: Viva Books Pvt. Ltd.
- Devkota, S. C. (2060). Public Policy Analysis. Kathmandu: Ratna Pustak Bhandar.
- Edward, III, George, C., & Sharkansky, I. (1978). The Policy Predicament. San Francisco: W.H. Freeman.
- Farohock, F. M. (1979). Public Policy: Scope and Logic. New Jersey: Prentice –Hall INC Englewood Cliffs.
- Frohlich, N. & Oppenheimer, J. A. (1978). Modern Political Economy. New Delhi: Prentice Hall of India.
- Hill, M. & Hupe, P. (2006). Implementing Public Policy: Governance in Theory and Practice. New Delhi: Sage Publications.
- Howlett, M. & Ramesh, M. (2003). Studying Public Policy: Policy Cycles and Policy Sub Systems. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Joshi, S. (2062). Economic Policy Analysis. Kathmandu: Taleju Prakashan.
- Pandey, Y. R. (2069). Public Policy Formulation, Implementation Monitoring Evaluation and Analysis of Public Policy. Kathmandu: Vidhyarthi Pustak Bhandar.
- Paul, D. (1995). Public Policy Formulation and Implementation in India Delhi: Devika Publications.
- Rana, R. B. (2014). Aspects of Public Policy, Kathmandu: Kantipur College of Public Management.
- Reejal, P. R. (2003). Fundamental of Public Policy Analysis. Kathmandu: Pairabi Prakashan.
- Sahni, P. (1987). Public Policy: Conceptual Dimension. India: Kitab Mahal.
- Sapru, R. K. (2014). Public Policy: Formulation, Implementation and Evaluation. New Delhi: Sterling Publishing Pvt. Ltd.
- Sapru, R. K. (2011). Public Policy: Art and Craft of Policy Analysis. New Delhi: PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd.
- Saxena, P. K. (1993). Comparative Public Policy. New Delhi: Rawat Publications.