This course provides the fundamental concepts, terminologies and technical basics involved in public sector human resource management so that students can deal effectively with human issues that arise in the workplace.
Unit 1: Basics of Public Sector Human Resource Management (HRM) (LH 10)
- Concept, principles, and functions of HRM
- Evolution of HRM in the public sector
- Strategic human resource management (SHRM)
Unit 2: Acquisition of Public Sector Human Resources (LH 10)
- Human resource planning
- Role and functions of recruitment agencies: recruitment, selection and placement; orientation and socialization
Unit 3: Development of Human Resources (LH 10)
- Employee training
- Management development
- Career development
- Human resources development practices
Unit 4: Retention Policy (LH 10)
- Compensation and benefits including safety and health
- Motivation, performance evaluation/appraisal
- Code of ethics and discipline
- Grievance handling, collective bargaining, retirement and dismissal
Unit 5: Emerging Trends and Challenges in Public Sector HRM (LH 8)
- Managing diverse workforce
- Emerging issues and challenges in working with human resources (quality of HRM and quality of HRM policies and practices)
- Decenzo, D. A. & Robbins, S. P. (1998). Persona Human Resource Management. New Delhi: Prentice Hall of India.
- Adhikari, D. R. (2014). Human Resource Management. Kathmandu: Buddha Academic Publishers and Distributors.
- Agrawal, G. R. (2071). Dynamics of Human Resource Management in Nepal. Kathmandu: M.K. Publishers and Distributors.
- Ahusa, K. K. (1992). Personnel Management. New Delhi: Kalyani Publishers.
- Armstrong, M. (2005). A Hand Book of HRM Practice. London: Kogan Page Limited.
- Armstrong, M. (2012). Armstrong’s Handbook: of Human resource Management Practice (12th ed.). London: Kogan Page.
- Cascuo, W. F. (1998). Managing Human Research. Boston: Mc Graw-Hill.
- Dessler, G. & Varkkey, B. (2013). Human Resource Management. New Delhi: Pearson.
- Dessler, G. (2011). A Framework for Human Resource Management. Delhi: Pearson.
- French, W. C. (1997). Human Research Management. New Delhi: All Indian Publishers and Distributors.
- Mamoria, C. B. (2009). A Text Book of Human Resource Management. New Delhi: Himalaya Publishing House.
- Mejia, L., Balkin R. I. N. G., Cardi B., & Robert, L. (2002). Managing Human Resource. New Delhi: Prentice Hall of India.
- Mondy, R. W. (2009). Human Resource Management. New Delhi: Pearson .
- Mondy, R W. (2009). Human Resource Management. India: Dorling Kindersley (India) Pvt. Ltd.
- Nair, N. G. (2002). Resource Management. New Delhi: Vikas Publishing House Pvt. Ltd.
- Novit, M. S. (1979). Essentials of Personnel Management. London: Prentice Hall.
- Prasad, L. B. (1990). Management of Human Resources. New Delhi: Sterling Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
- Shrestha, K. (2004). Human Research Management. Kathmandu: Nabin Prakashan.
- Strauss, G. & Sayles, L. R. (1980). Personnel: The Human Problems of Management. New Delhi: Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd.
- Tiwari, M. (2061). Nepal Ko Nilamati Sewa Janshakti Bybasthaan, Kathmandu: Kanti Tiwari.