The objective of this course is to familiarize the students with basic tools and techniques of statistics required to conduct social and behavioral research in public administration.
Unit 1: Introduction to Statistics (LH 4)
- Concept, nature, significance and scope of statistics
- General field of statistics: descriptive and inferential statistics
- Measure of central tendency: mean, weighted mean, median and mode
- Measures of dispersion: variance, standard deviation and coefficient of variation
Unit 2: Determining the Bi-variate Relationship (LH 4)
- Correlation analysis: Karl Pearson and Spearman’s Rank correlation methods
- Regression analysis: simple linear regression
Unit 3: Probability Theory (LH 10)
- Basic terminologies: combination, event and its type; sample space
- Approach to probability: classical, relative frequency and subjective approaches
- Laws of probability: additional rule, multiplication rule, conditional probability
- Theoretical probability distribution: binomial, and normal distribution.
Unit 4: Estimation (LH 5)
- Concept of estimation, sampling distribution, and standard error
- Criteria of a good estimator
- Type of estimates: Point and interval estimate (population mean and population proportion)
- Determining sample size
Unit 5: Test of Hypothesis (LH 25)
- Introduction to test of hypothesis: concept and significance
- Basic terminologies: null and alternative hypothesis, one tailed and two tailed test, type-I and type-II errors
- Steps in test of hypothesis
- Test of significance of large sample: mean (single and double sample), population proportion (single and double sample)
- Test of significance of small Sample: mean (independent and dependent), sample correlation coefficient, test of significance of two sample variances,
- Parametric and non-parametric test, chi-square test (goodness of fits and test of independence attribute)
- Kruskal Wallis Test: test of significance of more than two sample means
- Chandan, J. S. (2009). Statistics for Business and Economics. New Delhi: Vikash Publishing House.
- Gupta, S. C. (1999). Fundamentals of Statistics. New Delhi: Himalaya Publishing House Pvt. Ltd.
- Gupta, S. P. (1998). Fundamentals of Statistics. New Delhi: Himalayan Publishing House Pvt. Ltd.
- Kerlinger, F. N. (1986). Fundamental of Behavioral Research. New Delhi: Surjeet Publishers
- Kothari, C. K. (2008). Research Methodology: Methods and Techniques. New Delhi: New Age International.
- Macfie, B. P. & Nufrio P. M. (2017). Applied Statistics for Public Policy. New Delhi: Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd.
- Shahi, H. B. (2017). Statistics for Public Management. Kathmandu: Radhika Shahi.
- Sharma, P. K. & Chaudhary, A. K. (2071). Statistical Methods. Kathmandu: Khanal Publication Pvt. Ltd.