The objective of this course is to provide students with the basic knowledge of public sector economics and fiscal administration so as to make them competent and capable in understanding its evolution, principles and theories together with the significance of the public financial operation in the modern era.
Unit 1: Introduction to Public Finance (10 LH)
- Concept, nature, scope and significance of public finance
- Functions of public finance: allocation, distribution and stabilization
- Fiscal policy: concept, objectives and scope
Unit 2: Public Revenue (10 LH)
- Concept of public revenue, cannons of taxation, principles of taxation: benefit principle and ability to pay principle
- Characteristics of effective tax system, revenue administration
Unit 3: Public Expenditure (10 LH)
- Concept, structure and principles of public expenditure, pattern of public expenditure, public expenditure financial accountability (PEFA)
Unit 4: Public Debt (10 LH)
- Concept and need of public debt
- Sources and structure of public debt
- Burden of public debt
- Principles of debt management
Unit 5: Budgeting (LH 8)
- Concept of government budgeting
- Theories of budgeting: classical and modern concepts of budgeting
- Types of budgeting
- Process of government budgeting in Nepal and medium-term expenditure framework (MTEF)
- Adhikari, H. P. (2007). Public Finance. Kathmandu: Renuka Kattel.
- Adhikari, H. P. (2018). Aspects of Public Finance. Kathmandu: Image Adhikari.
- Bhatia, H. L. (2010). Public Finance.New Delhi: Vikas Publishing House Pvt. Ltd.
- Bista, B. (2061). Public Finance Theory and Practice. Kathmandu: Pairbi Prakashan.
- David, B. F. & Duncombe, B. F. (1972). Public Finance. New York: Holt Rinehart and Winston Inc.
- Hockley, G. (1979). Public Finance. London: Routledge.
- Joshi, S. (2060). Public Economics. Kathmandu: Taleju Prakashan.
- Kandel, P. R. (2061). Nepalko Sarbjanik Bitta Vybasthapanka Khi Pakshyharu. Kathmandu: Buddha Academic Publishers.
- Lekhi, R. K. (1995). Public Finance. New Delhi: Kalyani Publishers.
- Lekhi, R. K. & Singh, J. (2014). The Economics of Development and Planning. New Delhi: Kalyani Publishers.
- Mehta, J. K. (1975). Public Finance. Allahabad: Kitab Mahal.
- Singh, S. K. (2001). Public Finance. New Delhi: S. Chand & Company Ltd.
- Singh, S. K. (2010). Public Finance: In the Theory and Practice. New Delhi: S. Chand and Company Pvt. Ltd.
- Sundharam, K. P. M. & Andley, K. K. (1998). Public Finance: Theory and Practice. New Delhi: S Chand & Company Ltd.
- Sundharam, K. P. M. & Andley, K. K. (2003). Public Finance: Theory and Practice. New Delhi: S Chand & Company Ltd.
- Taylor, P. (1961). The Economics of Public Finance. Calcutta: Oxford and IBH Publishing Company.
- Tyagi, B. P. (2004). Public Finance. Meerut: Jai Prakash Nath & Company.