The objective of this course is to orient students about the emerging concepts and issues of public policy globally. At the end of the course, the students will be able to understand and analyze the issues of public policy with new perspectives.
Unit 1: Understanding Public Policy Analysis (LH 16)
- Approaches to public policy analysis
- Positivism and post-positivism
- Approaches to public policy studies
- Multi-level and multi-disciplinary
Unit 2: Emerging Trends in Public Policy (LH 10)
- Policy making in the liberal democratic states
- The globalization and public policy
- Policy sub system and policy regimes
Unit 3: Bureaucracy and Policy Making (LH 8)
- Organizations and accountability
- Corporate lobby groups in the policy process
Unit 4: Constraints on Public Policy (LH 6)
- Economic constraints on public policy
- Institutional constraints on policy
- Social and cultural constraints
Unit 5: Case Study (LH 8)
- Case study on selected substantive polices related to socio-economic issues
- Adhikari, D. (2061). Public Policy Analysis. Kathmandu: Pairabi Prakashan.
- Anderson, J. E. (1979). Public Policy Making (2nd ed.). New York: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston.
- Cochran, C. L. & Malone, E. F. (2007). Public Policy: Perspectives and Choices. New Delhi: Viva Books Pvt. Ltd.
- Devkota, S. C. (2060). Public Policy Analysis. Kathmandu: Ratna Pustak Bhandar.
- Edward III, George C., & Sharkansky, I. (1978). The Policy Predicament. San Francisco: W.H. Freeman.
- Farohock, F. M. (1979). Public Policy: Scope and Logic. New Jersey: Prentice –Hall INC Englewood Cliffs.
- Frohlich, N. & Oppenheimer, J. A. (1978). Modern Political Economy, New Delhi: Prentice Hall of India
- Hill, M. & Hupe, P. (2006). Implementing Public Policy: Governance in Theory and Practice. New Delhi: Sage Publications.
- Howlett, M. & Ramesh, M. (2003). Studying Public Policy: Policy Cycles and Policy Sub Systems. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Joshi, S. (2062). Economic Policy Analysis. Kathmandu: Taleju Prakashan.
- Pandey, Y. R. (2069). Public Policy Formulation, Implementation Monitoring Evaluation and Analysis of Public Policy. Kathmandu: Vidhyarthi Pustak Bhandar.
- Paul, D. (1995). Public Policy Formulation and Implementation in India. New Delhi: Devika Publications.
- Rana, R. B. (2014). Aspects of Public Policy, Kathmandu: Kantipur College of Public Management.
- Reejal, P. R. (2003). Fundamental of Public Policy Analysis. Kathmandu: Pairabi Prakashan.
- Sahni, P. (1987). Public Policy: Conceptual Dimension. New Delhi: Kitab Mahal.
- Sapru, R. K. (2011). Public Policy: Art and Craft of Policy Analysis. New Delhi: PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd.
- Sapru, R. K. (2014). Public Policy: Formulation, Implementation and Evaluation. New Delhi: Sterling Publishing Pvt. Ltd.
- Saxena, P. K. (1993). Comparative Public Policy. Delhi: Rawat Publications.