The objective of this course is to orient students about the political analysis, policy instruments and policy network theory that will enable to analyze policy issues to develop policy considering a broad perspective.
Unit 1: Issues to the Study of Public Policy Analysis (LH 8)
- Informing and appraising public policy
- Re-framing public policy
Unit 2: Power Models and the Policy Process LH12
- Political power, elitism, pluralism, corporatism, Marxism, professionalism and technocracy
- Relationships between power, authority and legitimacy
Unit 3: Policy Development (LH 8)
- Participants and goals
- Problems and solutions (tools): political feasibility and explaining policy development
Unit 4: Implementation of Sectoral Policy (LH 12)
- Health policy
- Education policy
- Social welfare policy
- Energy policy
- Economic policy
- Foreign policy
Unit 5: Case study/ Field Report (LH 8)
- Case study/ field report on planning and implementation of a development policy
- Adhikari, D. (2061). Public Policy Analysis. Kathmandu: Pairabi Prakashan.
- Anderson, J. E. (1979). Public Policy Making (2nd ed.). New York: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston
- Cochran, C. L. & Malone, E. F. (2007). Public Policy: Perspectives and Choices. New Delhi: Viva Books Pvt. Ltd.
- Devkota, S. C. (2060). Public Policy Analysis. Kathmandu: Ratna Pustak Bhandar.
- Edward III, George C., & Sharkansky, I. (1978). The Policy Predicament. San Francisco: W.H. Freeman.
- Farohock, F. M. (1979). Public Policy: Scope and Logic. New Jersey: Prentice –Hall INC Englewood Cliffs.
- Hill, M. & Hupe, P. (2006). Implementing Public Policy: Governance in Theory and Practice. New Delhi: Sage Publications.
- Howlett, M. & Ramesh, M. (2003). Studying Public Policy: Policy Cycles and Policy Sub Systems. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Joshi, S. (2062). Economic Policy Analysis. Kathmandu: Taleju Prakashan.
- Pandey, Y. R. (2069). Public Policy Formulation, Implementation Monitoring Evaluation and Analysis of Public Policy. Kathmandu: Vidhyarthi Pustak Bhandar.
- Paul, D. (1995). Public Policy Formulation and Implementation in India. New Delhi: Devika Publications.
- Rana, R. B. (2014). Aspects of Public Policy, Kathmandu: Kantipur College of Public Management.
- Reejal, P. R. (2003). Fundamental of Public Policy Analysis. Kathmandu: Pairabi Prakashan.
- Sahni, P. (1987). Public Policy: Conceptual Dimension. New Delhi: Kitab Mahal.
- Sapru, R. K. (2014). Public Policy: Formulation, Implementation and Evaluation. New Delhi: Sterling Publishing Pvt. Ltd.
- Sapru, R. K. (2011). Public Policy: Art and Craft of Policy Analysis. New Delhi: PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd.
- Saxena, P. K. (1993). Comparative Public Policy. New Delhi: Rawat Publications.