The objective of this course is to provide basic knowledge about the conceptual foundations and principles relating to the analytical and interdisciplinary field of public policy. The course intends to make the students to conceptualize policy making and public policy-decision making.
Unit 1: Basic Foundations (LH 14)
- Concept of public policy and policy analysis
- Nature and scope of public policy
- Typology of public policy
- Scope of public policy
- Analytical approaches to policy study
- Importance of policy study
- Limits of public policy
Unit 2: Policy Philosophies and Public Interest (LH 10)
- Forms of policy philosophies: protectorism, rationalism, brokerism, pragmatism, transferalism, egoism
- The concept of public interest: Public/collective goods and private goods.
Unit 3: Theoretical Approaches to Policy Making (LH 10)
- Political systems theory
- Elite theory
- Group theory
- Two way communication theory
Unit 4: Public Policy Decision Making (LH 10)
- Rational decision making
- Disjointed incrementalism
- Mixed scanning
- Public opinion model
- Concept of bounded rationality
Unit 5: Constraints on Decision Making (LH 4)
- Economic constraints
- Political constraints
- Social constraints
- Anderson, J. E. (1979). Public Policy Making (2nd ed.). New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston.
- Cochran, C. L. & Malone, E. F. (2007). Public Policy: Perspectives and Choices. New Delhi: Viva Books Pvt. Ltd.
- Devkota, S. C. (2060). Public Policy Analysis. Kathmandu: Ratna Pustak Bhandar.
- Edward III, George C., & Sharkansky, I. (1978). The Policy Predicament, San Francisco: W.H. Freeman Publishers.
- Farohock, F. M. (1979). Public Policy: Scope and Logic. New Jersey: Prentice –Hall INC Englewood Cliffs.
- Frohlich, N. & Oppenheimer, J. A. (1978). Modern Political Economy, New Delhi: Prentice Hall of India.
- Hill, M. & Hupe, P. (2006). Implementing Public Policy: Governance in Theory and Practice. New Delhi: Sage Publications.
- Howlett, M. & Ramesh, M. (2003). Studying Public Policy: Policy Cycles and Policy Sub Systems. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Joshi, S. (2062). Economic Policy Analysis. Kathmandu: Taleju Prakashan.
- Pandey, Y. (2069). Public Policy Formulation, Implementation Monitoring Evaluation and Analysis of Public Policy. Kathmandu: Vidhyarthi Pustak Bhandar.
- Paul, D. (1995). Public Policy Formulation and Implementation in India. New Delhi: Devika Publications.
- Rana, R. B. (2014). Aspects of Public Policy, Kathmandu: Kantipur College of Public Management.
- Reejal, P. R. (2003). Fundamental of Public Policy Analysis. Kathmandu: Pairabi Prakashan.
- Sahni, P. (1987). Public Policy: Conceptual Dimension. New Delhi: Kitab Mahal.
- Sapru, R. K. (2011). Public Policy: Art and Craft of Policy Analysis. New Delhi: PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd.
- Sapru, R. K. (2014). Public Policy: Formulation, Implementation and Evaluation. New Delhi: Sterling Publishing Pvt. Ltd.
- Saxena, P. K. (1993). Comparative Public Policy. New Delhi: Rawat Publications.