The purpose of this course is to provide a basic foundational knowledge of public administration and management. The course intends aiming to familiarize the students with the concepts, theories and emerging trends of public administration and management. It also aims at encouraging the students to apply the methods used by the administrator/managers in the changed context.
Unit 1: Introduction to Public Administration (LH 16)
- Evolution, concept and scope of public administration
- Politics and administration: Politics – administration dichotomy, representative government and bureaucracy, bureaucratizing democracy
- Public administration as a multi-disciplinary approaches: political, managerial and legal approaches to public administration
- Principles of public administration
- New public administration
- New public management (NPM)
- Postmodern in public administration
Unit 2: Management and Organization Theory (LH 10)
- The origins of public management
- Organization Theory: Classical approaches (scientific management, organization and management; and bureaucratic theory), neo-classical approach (human relations and behavioral approach, structural organization theory) and system theory
- Techniques in public administration (decision making cycle and process, coordination in organization)
Unit 3: Intergovernmental Relations (LH 8)
- The evolution of federalism
- The structure of intergovernmental relations and management
- Dynamism federalism
Unit 4: Machinery of Government (LH 6)
- Concept of machinery of government
- Federal, sub-national (state) and local government machinery
Unit 5: Administration in Comparative Perspective (LH 8)
- Political culture and public administration
- Personnel practice in comparative perspective
- Budget practice in comparative perspective
- Policy making in comparative perspective
- Arora, R. K. & Goyal, R. (2007). Indian Public Administration: Institution and Issues. New Delhi: Wishwa Prakashan.
- Arora, R. (1990). Comparative Public Administration: An Ecological Perspective. New Delhi: Associated Publishing House.
- Basu, R. (1992). Public Administration Concept and Theory. New Delhi: Sterling Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
- Bava, N. (Ed.) (2004). Public Administration in The 21 st Century. New Delhi: Kanishak Publishers and Distributors.
- Berkley, G. E. (1978). The Craft of Public Administration. Boston: Allyn and Bacon Inc.
- Bhatta, B. D. (2065). Srabjnik Prashan ko Adharbhut Siddhanta. America: Shree Asisdev Bhatta.
- Caiden, G. (1971). The Dynamics of Public Administration: Guide Lines to Current Transformation in Theory and Practice. USA: Dryden Press.
- Cox (III), R. W., Buck, S. J., & Morgan, B. N. (2017). Public Administration in Theory and Practice (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Cox, R., Buck, S. J., & Morgan, B. N. (1994). Public Administration in the Theory and Practice. Delhi: Pearson Education Ltd.
- Derbyshire, J. D. & Patterson, D. T. (1979). An Introduction to Public Administration. London: McGraw-Hill Book Company.
- Goel, S. L. (2008). Public Administration: Theory and Practice. New Delhi: Deep and Deep Publication Private Limited.
- Hans, R. (1989). Principles of Public Administration. New Delhi: Surjeet Publications.
- Hays S. W. & Graham, C. B. (Eds.) (1993). Hand Book of Court Administration and Management. USA: CRC Press.
- Heady, F. (1984). Public Administration: A Comparative Perspective (6th ed.). New York: CRC Press.
- Henry, N. (2008). Public Administration and Public Affairs. New Delhi: Prentice Hall of India.
- Hooja, R. & Arora, R. K. (Eds.) (2007). Administrative Theories: Approaches, Concepts and Thinkers in Public Administration. New Delhi: Rawat Publications.
- Jabes, J. (Ed.) (2005). The Role of Public Administration in Alleviating Poverty and Improving Governance. Manila: The Asian Development Bank.
- Jain, R. B. (2001). Public Administration in India: 21st Century Challenges for Good Governance. Michigan: Deep & Deep Publications.
- Jamil, I., Askvik, S., & Dhakal, T.N. (Eds.) (2013). In Search of Better Governance in South Asia and Beyond. New York Heidelberg Dordrecht London: Springer.
- Joshi, N. (1983). Evaluation of Public Administration in Nepal: Lesions and Experience. Kathmandu: Ratna Pustak Bhandar.
- Laxmikanth, M. (2003). Public Administration for the UPSC Civil Service Preliminary Examination. New Delhi: Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited.
- Macrae, S. & Pitt, D. M. (1980). Public Administration: An Introduction. London: Pitman Publishing Ltd.
- Avasthi, A. & Maheshwari, S. (1997). Public Administration. Agra: Lakshmi Narain Agrawal.
- Marini, F. (1972). Toward a New Public Administration. London: Chandler Publishing Company.
- Nigro, F. A. & Nigro L. (1980). Modern Public Administration. New York: Harper and Row Publishers.
- Palekar, S. A. (2003). Public Administration. New Delhi: Serials Publications.
- Peters, B. G. (2010). The Politics of Bureaucracy: An Introduction to Comparative Public Administration. London: Routledge.
- Pokhrel, K. (2072). Rajya Janaprashan Ra Srbajnik Mamila. Kathmandu: M.K. Publishers and Distributors.
- Poudyal, M. (1989). Administrative Reform in Nepal. New Delhi: National Book Organization.
- Poudyal, M. (1986). Aspects of Public Administration in Nepal. Delhi: National Book Organization.
- Poudyal, M. P. (1984). Public Administration and Nation Building in Nepal. Delhi: NBO Publishers Distributors.
- Pradhan, P. (2033). Public Administration in Nepal. Kathmandu: CEDA.
- Prasad, R., Prasad V.S., Satyanarayan, P., & Pradhasaradhi, Y. (Eds.) (2010). Administrative Thinkers. New Delhi: Sterling Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
- Rabin, J., Hildreth, W.B., & Miller G. J. (Eds.) (1997). Hand Book of Public Administration. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc.
- Riggs, F.W. (1961). The Ecology of Public Administration. New Delhi: The Indian Institute of Public Administration.
- Rosenbloom, D. H. & Goldman, D. D. (2005). Public Administration: Understanding Management, Policies and law in the Public Sector. Michigan: McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Sangeeta, S. (2007). Principles of Public Administration. New Delhi: Mangalam Publishers and Distributors.
- Shafritz, J. M., Russell, E.W., Borick, C.P., & Hyde. A. C. (2018). Introducing Public Administration (9th ed). New York: Routledge.
- Shahi, H. B. (2018). Contemporary Public Management. Kathmandu: Radhika Shahi.
- Sharma, M. P.; Sadana, B. L., & Kur, H. (2013). Public Administration: In Theory and Practice. Allahabad: Kitab Mahal Publishers.
- Shrestha, T. N. (1981). Nepalese Administration: An Image. Kathmandu: Saja Prakashan.
- Singh, V. (2012). Public Administration: Dictionary. New Delhi: Tata McGraw-Hill Education Pvt. Ltd.
- White, L. D. (1989). Introduction to the Study of Public Administration. New Delhi: Eurasia Publishing House.